I used a fabric strip set that was already sewn together. It is hard to tell this in the picture because the batik fabrics are so similar. I put the strip set right side to another piece of batik fabric, put the pattern on top, and sewed around it.
I did not use any interfacing. There were so many comments from others who made this about how hard it was to turn, I just decided not to interface it. Here is a picture of the back side right before turning. I trimmed very closely and clipped all the inside curves.
These scissors were a Christmas gift from my daughter, Lindsey. I love them! There is nothing in the word that cuts as smoothly as these. I didn’t have any trouble turning my elephant right side out but it was pretty flimsy without the interfacing so I did the next best thing – I spray starched the heck out of it – several times! This was actually quite effective and it is now pretty stiff. I then sewed an ultra suede ear on. I didn’t bother with an eye because somehow there is a star on the fabric right where the eye would be. I couldn’t have fussy cut it any more perfectly.
Linking to LR Stitched Zakka sew along.