April 1, 2013 · 3:51 PM
One of the many things that made the Sew South Retreat so much fun were the swaps. Anyone who wanted to participate in the “Sample” Swap, made up 4 of one thing they wanted to swap. At the retreat, we were divided into random groups of 5 and we each gave one of our 4 samples to the other 4 people in our group. Here is a sampling of what participants gave and received:
1. Chicken pincushions, 2. Sew South Sample Swap, 3. #sewsouth, 4. drawstring pouches scrappy, 5. Sew South Sample Swap, 6. 4 pretty little purses ready for swapping at #SewSouth!, 7. Ruffled zip pouches, 8. Cosmetics Bag, 9. Sample Swap Sew South – fabric bowls, 10. Sew South sample swap, 11. sample swap bags, 12. Swap bags., 13. Ready for Sew South, 14. Fabric Notebooks for Sew South Swap, 15. 1-IMG_1508, 16. Quilt block holder by Teresa, 17. Crafty Queen apron by Margaret, 18. Market bag by Alex, 19. Sample Swap – Coffee Sleeves, 20. DSCN1044
I made up these chicken pincushions and was able to swap for a few more than 4 things because I had 6 of them!
My chicken pincushions
April 18, 2012 · 12:21 AM
This is week 3 of the Zakka Style Sew Along. This week’s project is a pretty straight forward pincushion. Here is the example from the book:
Here is the pincushion I made:
Zakka Pincushion front
Zakka Pincushion back
I made the following changes from the directions in the book:
1. Size – mine is a bit smaller.
2. I used sand instead of polyester fiberfill inside. I like the feel of sand and supposedly it keeps your pins sharp! This did make attaching the buttons on the front and back to one another kind of funky because the “fill” does not stay in one place.
3. I free motion stitched a design on fabric rather than stamping.
It’s cute but not as cute as the chicken pincushions I made a few weeks ago!
Don’t you agree?
April 12, 2012 · 3:34 PM
Aren’t these the cutest pincushions ever? I bought the pattern years ago at Quilted Threads in Henniker, NH. At the time I thought it would be a great gift for my sister who has chickens on her “farm”.
I hadn’t made one up until a week ago. Once I made one, I couldn’t stop! I kept wondering how another one in a different fabric would look! The pattern is called Little Banty Chick Pincushion. It is by Susa Glen at the ArtFabric Studio. Notice how these have “painted fingernails!” (Actually just a red bead at the end of all the yellow beads).
I filled these with sand but I’m going to try walnut shells (thanks Anne!) in the next one I make. They are ground up and have the same texture as sand but not quite as fine. It seems as though there will be less chance of it “leaking” out of the seems – although this has not been a problem with the sand. There is a little bit of polyfil stuffing in the head as no matter how tight I fill them, the head always ends up empty.
They sew up very quickly. You catch the beak and the tail into the few body seams. They are filled with sand before the beads are added to make the feet, comb and wattle. I had a lot of fun making them and can’t wait to make some more!