Largest “bucket” is 12″ high and 12″wide
I spent the past week at my oldest daughter’s home doing some sewing and other projects with her. One of things that she asked me to make was this fabric bucket. The fabric on the outside is a decor weight cotton and the inside is a pretty batik. The pattern is Bucket Brigade by Atkinson Designs.
Filled with knitting.
This was the largest of the 4 sizes that the pattern includes. Isn’t it pretty? I love the fabrics that she picked. We debated about what to use for the stiff interfacing that the pattern calls for. We ended up using Peltex by Pellon which gives a very stiff finish which is what Lindsey wanted. When I sewed the rectangular outer piece into a tube I was afraid that the seam would stick out and not be smooth.
Here is what it looked like after ironing.
I decided to iron on a strip of fusible interfacing over the seam which secured it very neatly.
Interfacing fused over the seam to hold it in place.
Two buckets are created (outer and inner) and when finished, the top is folded over to the outside to give about a 2 inch contrast band to the top. I didn’t want to fold over the Peltex (yikes, how could you?) and so I cut the Peltex shorter. You can see this in the photos above.
Handles on both sides.
If I make one of these for myself, I think I will consider using something softer than Peltex. The pattern suggests Stiff Stuff by Lazy Girl Designs but I am not familiar with this product and don’t think I have a local place to buy it.
I love the way the bucket turned out and I’m sure it will be great for any number of uses! I can’t wait to make another for myself.
Pockets to Go by Terry Atkinson
Aren’t these adorable? I made one and a friend made the other. The pattern is called “Pockets To Go” by Atkinson Designs. They are sewing supply organizers and can hold all sorts of supplies. I use mine all the time.
There are zippered pockets on two of the outer sides and handles on the other. It all goes together very cleverly.
Sewing caddy side view.
The side panels are cut for both the inside and outside. Pockets are added to all 4 inside panels. Zippered pockets are added to two of the outside panels.
The inside and outside panels are sewn together and the bottom added. The last step is to add binding around the top and before this is done, a panel of pel-tex is slipped in to give it sturdiness.
I gave the colorful one to my niece as a gift and made this linen one for myself. Another one of my nieces, who doesn’t sew, thought it looked great to use to hold makeup. Hmmm. . . . that’s a definite Christmas gift idea for this year! I have 4 nieces and 3 daughters who I would love to sew something for as a holiday gift.
Linen and polka dot cotton fabric
Another friend made the longer skinnier version to use in her car to hold things when she travels.
She made it out of travel fabric. Isn’t it great? I may have to do the same for my car.
I really love this pattern but I would like to point out a few things. There are a couple problems with the instructions which may or may not be a factor depending on your level of sewing expertise. You are instructed to make the inside pockets as shown “in Terry’s Tip on page 1” but Terry’s Tip is on page 4. The more confusing error is on sewing on the binding along the sides and bottom of the caddy. The directions and illustration had me trying to sew it on in such a way that I could not neatly cover the corner. Once I realized that it needs to be done exactly like a quilt binding and I could achieve this by starting it on the opposite side of the raw seams, I was able to do it perfectly.